Sealer Application Guide
FAB-SEAL IS HIGHLY FLAMMABLE!!! DO NOT APPLY SEALERS NEAR OPEN-FLAMES OR OTHER SOURCES OF HEAT. TURN OFF THE PILOT LIGHT AND GAS ON ALL GAS-OPERATED APPLIANCES.
APPLY FAB-SEAL IN A WELL-VENTILATED SPACE. Open windows and doors and place a fan in the work area to assist in ventilating the work area. Respirators should be worn during the application process.
WEAR PROTECTIVE CLOTHING, EYEWEAR AND RUBBER GLOVES.
CALL A PHYSICIAN IF SEALER IS INGESTED OR CONTACTS EYES.
KEEP PETS AND CHILDREN AWAY FROM THE SEALING AREA AT ALL TIMES.
SEALED CONCRETE SURFACES MAY BE SLICK WHEN WET WITH WATER OR OTHER LIQUIDS.
1. Fab-Seal or Fab-Seal H2O Sealer - quantity based on your area at a coverage rate of 150 square feet per gallon (2 coats)
2. Applicators (1 for each coat) – either ¼” knap roller, car wash brush or wax applicator pad (lamb’s wool)
4. Paint rolling pan
5. Xylene or Mineral Spirits
6. Cotton socks – one thick pair or two thin pairs
SEALING PROCEDURES1. Ventilate the room and dress in the proper attire as outlined above. Turn off the pilot light and gas to all gas-operated appliances. Do not wear shoes on the floor after the staining and cleaning process, nor during the sealing process. Oils in shoe soles will transfer to the concrete surface leaving shoe prints.
2. Pour the sealer into a paint rolling pan and, remembering to wear the socks, begin applying the sealer in a light coat with the chosen applicator in a far corner of the sealing area, working your way out of the area. Apply the sealer using the paintbrush near baseboards or other objects around the perimeter of the sealing area. DO NOT OVER-SATURATE THE APPLICATOR AS BUBBLES MAY FORM! Proceed with this step until the entire concrete surface has been sealed. Dispose of the applicator when finished sealing, as a new one will be required for the next sealer application. Please note that the majority of the first coat of sealer will soak into the concrete and will not have as much gloss as the final coat.
3. Clean paint pan and any other item that came in contact with the sealer with Xylene or Mineral Spirits.
4. Allow the sealer to dry for a period of at least 24 hours to allow the tackiness to dry. Tackiness may be present for several days due to weather and humidity conditions. Do not allow pets or individuals to walk on the floor.
5. Apply the second coat of sealer using a new applicator as described in Step No. 3. For a final textured finish (not required), see “SHARK’S GRIP APPLICATION” below.
6.If a third coat is desired, again, follow the directions as stated above.
SHARK’S GRIP APPLICATION
Shark’s Grip, a powdered texture additive, can be added to the final coat of sealer to add a textured, “non-skid” finish to sealed surfaces. One-fifth (1/5) of a large container of the Shark’s GripÔ additive should be slowly mixed with one single gallon of sealer. Stir the sealer thoroughly. DO NOT ADD THE ENTIRE AMOUNT OF PRODUCT TO A FIVE-GALLON CONTAINER OF SEALER, AS THE PRODUCT WILL CLUMP TOGETHER. Apply the sealer with the additive as described above in Step No. 2.